Issue with Application loading after migration from SDK 14.2 to SDK 15.3

I am running custom firmware on a custom board using an nRF52832 chip. I have encountered an issue after migrating my project from SDK 14.2 to SDK 15.3. The issue is that my application is not starting and it occurs on two different occasions:

  1. After successfully performing an OTA DFU using a secure ble bootloader, my application doesn't run. The DFU is performed successfully but after nrf_bootloader_app_start() is called, is does not load my application.
  2. If my application is loaded and running on my device and the device is removed from power and then plugged back in, the application does not startup.

With that being said, if I merge the .hex files of the BL, BL settings, SD, and APP and flash them onto my device using nrfjprog, my application is loaded and runs properly. If I then remove my device from power and plug it back in, the application no longer starts. Loading the same bootloader and softdevice and then performing a DFU with my application does not successfully start my application either.

I tried both above scenarios with an example app from the SDK (blinky) which I modified to run on my custom board, and everything worked correctly. I was able to perform a DFU and have the application start, and if I power cycled the device, the app restarted.

This functionality used to work fine with my app when it was using SDK 14.2, it has only broken since migrating to SDK 15.3. Is there something that has changed that I need to be aware of?

Any help with the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Parents Reply
  • Strip down your application to a minimal function, for example blinking an LED. If it works after an DFU, you can start testing with more feature until it stop.

    The error occurs when calling fds_init(). Specifically, pages_init() returns with a value of NO_PAGES.

    This, however, only occurs after bootloader code was run. If I erase all and then run only the application, pages_init() returns FRESH_INSTALL and things work normally.

    From this, I have come to understand that because the bootloader writes to flash storage, my application is no longer able to initialize fds properly. How can I get around this issue?

    EDIT: To further isolate the issue, and to hopefully allow you to reproduce it on your end, I programmed and ran the secure ble bootloader example from the SDK (with softdevice loaded) on a PCA10040 DK and then ran the flash_fds example from the SDK and encountered the same issue. If I then erased all on the device and ran the flash_fds example on it's own, it functioned properly. If I loaded and ran the bootloader and then ran the flash_fds example, I would get the issue with CLI output of:

    <info> app: FDS example started.
    <info> app: Initializing fds...
    <error> app: Fatal error
    <warning> app: System reset
    Debugging through the flash_fds code, I see the same issue where fds_init() returns FDS_ERR_NO_PAGES.
Children