Stable application crashes at address 0x00000000 when I add JLINK_MONITOR_ISR_SES.s but DebugMonitor_IRQn is disabled

Very strange, I have lots of nRF52x experience, but this one has me stumped.

Successfully updated our custom board/application from nRF5_SDK_15.0.0 to latest as indicated below:

Setups:

SDK: nRF5_SDK_16.0.0_98a08e2

SoftDevice: 

FreeRTOS (from SDK)

Segger Embedded Studio (same issue on 4.12 / 4.18 / 4.50)

Windows 10

Custom board


Preprocessor definitions: 

BOARD_CUSTOM

NRF52

NRF52832_XXAA

NRF52_PAN_74

S132

SOFTDEVICE_PRESENT

NRF_SD_BLE_API_VERSION=7

CONFIG_NFCT_PINS_AS_GPIOS

FLOAT_ABI_HARD

INITIALIZE_USER_SECTIONS

NO_VTOR_CONFIG

ARM_MATH_CM4

FREERTOS


After migrating to SKD16, everything works very nicely. It is a reasonably complex application.

We use default flash_placement.xml from SDK16 example applications.

Application passes all of our testing. In Debug mode, NRF_LOG via RTT is active. This all operates fine.

Verified we have excess RAM available to the application. RAM_START=0x20002a98.

   ret_code_t ret_code = sd_ble_enable(p_app_ram_start); returns a start value of 0x20002220  ... so we are good here.

To help me isolate the problem, I have erased my nRF52832 IC, and no longer are using our Bootloader.

Only the Softdevice and Application are being loaded via SES.  


The last to do item was to re-enable our JLINK debug monitor. This is the ONLY change we are making to the application

We use the recommended method, as outlined in https://github.com/NordicPlayground/j-link-monitoring-mode-debugging. We use the 3 files as is unmodified.

We use the SDK16.0.0 branch, and our JLINK options are set to: 

    SetMonModeDebug = 1

    SetMonModeVTableAddr = 0x26000

    We execute NVIC_SetPriority(DebugMonitor_IRQn, _PRIO_SD_LOW);  in our Logger task.

When we do this, our application does not startup up at all, and the SES Debugger shows us at address 0x00000000 ... see attached picture below [Crash.png]

Note also the messaging indicating:   T-bit of XPSR is 0 but should be 1. Changed to 1.

To further isolate the problem, I commented out NVIC_SetPriority(DebugMonitor_IRQn, _PRIO_SD_LOW);  ... but no change...

Very weird ... [DebugMon_Handler] is being compiled in, but not being executed. 

... and all of this causes the SES to fail in loading the application.  I am a bit stymied.

I tried setting early breakpoints in thumb_crt0.s ... but it would not hit any of the early breakpoints.


As a very last investigative step, I took the SDK 16.0.0 example application, and modified it to support JLINK_MONITOR ...

... after some tweaking ... works like a charm :}


Free beer to whoever can solve my problem :}

Related