Whose idea was it to make creating a new project from scratch so difficult (if not impossible)????
I have created numerous projects using the nRF5x, but have always used an example project as the starting point. However, when I want to do something that is in 2 different example projects, I have had a lot of trouble combining them. And starting from scratch is impossible. I am using it with IAR.
1. Mainly because of the sdk_config.h. Trying to figure out what to enable or disable is very difficult. Just for the UART/UARTE there are numerous enables. All the color stuff makes no sense. I never was able to make use of colors.
2. In order to move a project to a different directory either requires the entire sdk be brought with it, or redefining 1000's of includes paths in IAR's preprocessor options. This is ridiculous.
3. There are a bunch of Define Symbols in IAR that don't make sense. Having to recreate this for a scratch project is ridiculous.
4. TI does the above also, and I stopped using their sdk.
5. I have worked with numerous large software development companies that have written nRF5x projects. They have all used example projects to get started because they say they can't figure it out either.
The API docs are OK, allowing me to do an include and start using the sdk calls, they are OK. But having to read 25 documents and take 3 classes to create a scratch built project enviroment is not acceptable.
I am sorry that you feel this way and I am thankful for the feedback. I will try to present to you my approach for developing a project and give a collection of links that may help you as well.
Following this approach has worked fine for me, and I have never really had any problems merging two projects. If you encounter any specific problems, please create a Devzone ticket and explain it in detail, and someone will help you. I also recommend you to read this and this thread regarding NRFX vs. legacy configurations.
Some links you may find helpful:
Thanks Simon. That is what I was attempting to do. Had some problems and got frustrated. I will check out the links you provided. I appreciate your help. I know the SDK can not be changed quickly, but please bring the concern to the right people in hopes an easier method is found in the future. Thanks.
Thanks for the link. Another how-to I'd like to see is how to eliminate sdk_config.h completely please and all other config.h as well nrfx, mesh,.....